November 12, 2008

Peanutty Noodles

Servings: 10
Stars: * * * * *
Sometimes I like to take a break from the chicken, chicken, chicken and just go meatless, yet finding a vegetarian dish that doesn't feel vegetarian can be a little tricky. I made this recipe last night and can't wait to have the leftovers today for lunch!

Ingredients (with modifications)


  • 2 carrots, peeled
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided (I use olive oil)
  • 2 tbsp. grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced (I use canned crushed garlic)
  • 1 c. fat-free chicken broth
  • 1/2 c. natural-style peanut butter (I used whatever was in my fridge)
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp. rice or white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp. chili garlic sauce (didn't have any so I omitted this and it was still great)
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 2 c. red bell pepper strips
  • 1 pounds snow peas, trimmed
  • 8 c. hot cooked linguine (about 1 lb.) (I used spaghetti)
  • 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro, optional

Directions

  1. Shave the carrots lengthwise into thin strips using a vegetable peeler; set aside.
  2. Heat 1 t. oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and next 5 ingredients (broth through salt); stir until well-blended. Reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and keep warm.
  3. Heat 2 t. oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and snow peas; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
  4. Combine carrot, peanut butter mixture, bell pepper mixture, and linguine in a large bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature (I even like it cold).

Nutritional Information

  • 296 calories
  • 8.8g fat
  • 11.7g protein
  • 3.4g fiber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chicken is my only meat-based protein source so I hear you! I get so sick of chicken at times but for some reason I feel like I need it to be healthy and get enough protein. But as your recipe clearly shows, that's not true - thanks for the nutritional information - that's so helpful!
If you're interested in finding some more meatless recipes - check out www.meatlessmonday.com. We have this great newsletter called Eaters Digest which sends out meatless recipes every Monday and other health and nutrition news. (Meatless Monday is actually a public health campaign dedicated to reducing people’s saturated fat intake by 15% to lower their risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and stroke.)
btw - Great Picture! Did you take that yourself?